Friday, July 23, 2010

Patricia Ariel

I was browsing the 'net for artists to discover a couple of weeks ago. I typed 'pop surrealist watercolor painting' (or something to that effect) into the Google Search engine and scanned through the many images that popped up. I eventually came across Patricia Ariel's Flickr account and was wowed. Her Materia series, currently being displayed at Gallery Fifty Six as part of the The Energy Art Movement group show, is what particularly caught my eye, and before I knew it I was buying originals from the gallery and from her personal website. I ended up buying Earth (from the Materia series), The Mirror and The Divine in Me. These can be found on her website.

(I wanted to post some of her work up on my blog, but I'm having a hard time copying them from her website and/or Flickr . . . I'm guessing this is on purpose. She may allow me to post some of it if I asked).

Her work speaks to me emotionally: the fluidity of the lines, the intricate detailing, the explosion of emotion that leaps off the page, the colors, the design . . . Everything speaks strongly to me and it provides inspiration for my thesis. Something, however, bothered me. Her women are drawn in line, and that's fine - after all Gustav Klimt did it, so did Alfons Mucha and I adore their work - but still, I couldn't help thinking that her work could be elevated to a finer art if she paid more attention to light and shadow in her figures. If she did that, she'd really be able to demand top dollar for her work. The only piece that showed a hint of that finer artistry is Waterlily, where we see a hint of the cast shadows of the nose and the lips (although the nose is missing a form shadow) and the shadow of the head fading into the darkness (although a form shadow is obviously missing). I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg.

With that said, I did buy some of her work anyway because it really is full of emotion and spoke to my heart. After reading the comments of her many admirers, I know I'm not the only one. I wish her the best and look forward to seeing more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment