Thursday, December 24, 2009

Bellydancing and Fine Art

Hello from Thailand!!

After a very intense semester at AAU, I am on vacation with my husband in Thailand (Koh Samui, to be exact). We are still rather jet-lagged and are recovering from a very long flight, but we're good and looking forward to our yoga retreat with Ron Reid and Marla Meenakshi Joy (Downward Dog Yoga in Toronto) at Yoga Thailand. I've been a yoga practioner since I was 16, starting out with vinyasa flow then getting into Ashtanga Yoga as taught by Pattabhi Jois (which led to my trips to India), and now I'm a dedicated student of vinyasa krama, taught beautifully by my Toronto teachers Ron and Marla.

Anyway, I can get into all that later, but I have an important announcement to make. After one year of dancing hiatus, I have decided to start dancing again (that is - performing, teaching, choreographing, producing) full time. This will obviously have a strong implication on my fine art. After two intense semesters at AAU, I have decided to back off a bit. What does that mean? Well, I'm not stopping (ie. I'm still an MFA student in Painting), but I'm only taking one course next semester. This way I can dance, teach, practice, and still have a life while working on my art skills.

Why have I decided to make this turn?

Well, I've been a dancer and very active being my whole life and I was having a really hard time staying in my art studio all day and not moving as much as I wanted. I was getting more frustrated than happy and felt my choice was just not working for me.

Look forward to more articles on belly dancing, words and notes on creative inspiration, videos and a lot more from the belly dancing world. I will also be posting articles on fine art because I love it and am inspired by talented and dedicated artists, but I'm broadening the focus to include my other loves.

I'll be uploading videos of myself dancing on my YouTube Channel. For now I invite you to go over and check out some of my favourite videos.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment