Sunday, September 6, 2009

Jusepe de Ribera & Natalia Fabia

In this post I compared Natalia Fabia's work to Rembrandt.

I was mistaken.

I was looking though some of my art history books, and I now believe that her paintings are perhaps closer to that of Spanish painter Jusepe de Ribera (1591 - 1652).

Look at this:

Jusepe de Ribera, Drunken Silenus, 1628

And then look at this:

Natalia Fabia, Pool Party, 2008

If you look beyond the somewhat similar subject matter (partying fat guy and partying hookers), you see that both are paintings of a moment in time; totally unposed and rather photographic. I'm aware that Natalia paints from photos (as do so many of today's artists), but Jusepe didn't. He made a point to paint from life, as opposed to from imagination. I find this intriguing, as it is my goal to paint from life and not solely from photos or imagination. I'm currently researching how the old masters (and some of the new ones) made their dreamlike compositions, using life as the blueprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment