Monday, June 8, 2009

Dina & La Grande Odalisque

I think it's time I posted something I did. I've been sketchbooking a lot, thinking about my graduate thesis and future. I love sketchbooking. I didn't know how much I missed it until I started doing it again, and now it's my go-to place whenever I'm feeling anything. Putting my emotions in words and colour and not worrying about trying to please someone is very liberating. Also, just for fun, I throw away any rules I may have learned in school, just to experiment and see what I get.

Anyway, while I was contemplating Ingres' 'La Grande Odalisque,' Dina came to me - all sexy and sad. Her face is NOT anatomically correct. I was exploring what would happen if I made the eyes bigger than possible and slightly too close. I'm actually nervous to put this up, but I'm doing it anyway. Below is a watercolor study of her face. Perhaps I'll paint her fully in oil sometime soon . . . But I did this sketch in 5 minutes and it's simply an exploration.



And here is Ingres' 'La Grande Odalisque'

No comments:

Post a Comment