Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Vacation and Artist Refills

School is out.

So, during this time between semesters (I'm enrolled for the summer semester - I'll be taking Figure Studio. I'm very excited), I've decided that it is a good idea to 'refill the gas tank' (so to speak). This idea is courtesy of Julia Cameron's book entitled 'Walking in this World.'

(I highly recommend it. The audiobook is particularly nice).

In this book, among the many insights she offers regarding living an artist's life, she discusses the need to refill. When we are feeling completely empty after exerting ourselves on a project (or projects) or whatever situation, it is important to consider doing something totally different for a little while your artistic self recovers and refills. Otherwise, you could burn out. Or lose the joy of making your art. Or have difficulty finding inspiration for your next projects and assignments.

While I've set aside an hour to sketch and write outdoors on an [almost] daily basis , I have decided to not do any more than that before school starts again on June 15. That way, when June 15 rolls around I'll be super excited to get back into the studio and study. During my refilling time, I've been studying yoga scriptures in addition to doing my usual daily yoga practice. I've also been reading all the books I didn't have time to during the semester (I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, and am super excited about Aghora II: Kundalini by Dr. Robert Svoboda, which I intend to start reading this weekend).

Another thing that I'm doing that's totally uncharacteristic is NOT sticking to a schedule. Very hard for me.

So, while I'm refilling my tank and feeding my artist (and trying not to feel guilty about not always being in the studio), I invite you to do the same. It really is a great exercise in relaxing, letting go and refilling our artistic tank.

Julia Cameron's Walking in this World

1 comment: