Friday, March 6, 2009

Progress

I'm in art school. This is the reason why I haven't been posting often. I know that, as I improve and the more I start working on both personal and professional projects, I'll be posting much more.

At the moment, I've been focusing on improving my skills and growing as an artist. The more I think about it, the more I realize that going to art school was the best decision I've ever made for myself.

Case in point:

Since I enrolled at Academy of Art University, I had been freaking out. First of all, I couldn't believe I was finally doing what I've known all along is right. It may be surprising, but after a certain amount of time totally lacking direction, it feels a little weird (and scary) to finally choose a path and stick to it. My first three weeks at AAU have been a beautiful shock and magnificent wake up call.

Anyway, the first three weeks I was freaking out on every assignment. As a result of my freaking out, I'd hand in work knowing that I could do better. And when classmates would point out how shit my work was, I'd feel horrible. Like I had been caught cheating or stealing or . . . selling myself short.

BUT, instead of making excuses to justify bad work, I set up studio space, slowed down and have really committed myself to my education. I've stopped rushing to the finish line and am determined to get the most out of my courses. It's such an amazing feeling to take your time and to take the time and to see progress.

Anyway, below I've posted a drapery study I did last week. I am so excited for the future and how all this information will transfer into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment